August 13, 2009

HEARD IT ALL BEFORE


Marriage eludes high-achieving black women
Many remain single and childless, according to new research

Yale researchers Natalie Nitsche and Hannah Brueckner argued that “marriage chances for highly educated black women have declined over time relative to white women.” Women of both races with postgraduate educations “face particularly hard choices between career and motherhood,” they said, “but especially in the absence of a reliable partner.”
And there’s the rub. As noted in a recent Sexploration column, contrary to old media reports, most educated, professional women who want to marry can and do marry. But the picture is less bright for high-achieving black women because “marriage markets” for them have deteriorated to the point that many remain unmarried, the researchers found. Since these women also feel pressured not to become single mothers, they often go childless as well, the researchers found.
Read the rest here

***
I'll comment on this later, but I mean, tell me something that I DON'T know. I'm starting to wonder if all this media attention on this subject could be a subconscious self fullfilling prophecy. Like do people see this and say oh, according to this study I'm not going to get married. So they don't...because they don't think they will. In the words of Decartes, "I think therefore I am". LOL @ me saying "they" like I'm not one of the women they are referring to.




0 comments: